27 January 2023
The Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Dr Naledi Pandor on Friday, 27 January 2023, co-chaired the 15th South Africa–European Union (SA–EU) Ministerial Political Dialogue (MPD) with the EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, H.E Mr. Josep Borrell.
The high-level participation indicates the importance of the Strategic Partnership for both sides.
The discussion focussed on how to further strengthen the Strategic Partnership, including trade and investment, energy, health, education, training, and skills development, science, technology and innovation.
South Africa is one of ten countries in the world that has a Strategic Partnership with the European Union (EU).
The Dialogue was attended by:
* EU Commissioner for International Partnerships, Ms Jutta Urpilainen;
* European Union Commissioner for Health and Food Safety, Ms Stella Kyriakides; and
* European Commissioner for Financial Services, Financial Stability and Capital Markets Union, Ms Mairead McGuiness.
A number of South African Cabinet Ministers also participating in the engagements, including:
* Minister of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development, Ms Thoko Didiza;
* Minister of Higher Education, Science and Innovation, Dr Blade Nzimande;
* Minister of Finance, Mr Enoch Godongwana;
* Minister of Trade, Industry and Competition, Mr Ebrahim Patel; and
* Deputy Minister of Health, Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo.
Both sides discussed how to further strengthen the Strategic Partnership, including in key areas such as trade and investment, energy, health, education, training, and skills development as well as science, technology and innovation – to name but a few.
South Africa is one of ten countries in the world that has a Strategic Partnership with the European Union (EU). The SA–EU Strategic Partnership Joint Action Plan, which was signed in Brussels in May 2007, provides for regular engagements at different levels, including the Joint Cooperation Council (JCC) at Senior Officials’ level, the MPD at Ministerial level and the Summit at Presidential level and the Summit at Presidential level.